Premier Daniel Andrews on Sunday said easing of restrictions would be 'paused'.
A cluster in Melbourne's north has swollen to 39 cases across 11 households.
No additional cases linked to the cluster were detected among the 1135 tests.
Mr Andrews still hopes to unveil restriction changes for Melbourne by Tuesday.
Victoria recorded no cases or deaths on Monday, bringing rolling average to 3.6.
Do you know more? email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Victoria has recorded no new COVID-19 cases or deaths for the first time since June, as Premier Daniel Andrews is slammed for refusing to lift Melbourne's Stage 4 lockdown.
Mr Andrews on Sunday announced easing of restrictions would be 'paused' while health authorities awaited the results of more than 1,000 critical tests - which have since come back negative.
Department of Health and Human Services testing chief Jeroen Weimar later confirmed no additional cases linked to the northern metropolitan outbreak had been detected among the 1135 test results.
Meanwhile, the family at the centre of north Melbourne's cluster have criticised health authorities for allowing them to leave isolation.
October 6: A family member contracts COVID-19 after working as a nurse at a hospital.
Family member isolates at quarantine hotel.
October 8: Five of the seven remaining family members develop mild symptoms and are tested.
October 9: The mother, father and two children received receive positive test results and continue home isolation.
Another family member also tests positive and isolates at a hotel.
October 17: Department of Health and Human Services gives the mother, father and two other children the all-clear to end isolation.
October 19 and 20: The year 5 boy attends East Preston Islamic College.
They say the Department of Health and Human Services cleared the family to leave isolation two days before a child attended school while infectious, sparking the outbreak.
The family, which has asked not to be named, told The Age that the boy was not warned he should stay isolated.
Health authorities said last week that the Year 5 boy attended East Preston Islamic College on October 19 and October 20 while his family members remained in quarantine at home with COVID-19.
A DHHS spokeswoman said the department 'sought to protect the privacy of this family and to ensure their health and wellbeing at all times'.
'We have provided all relevant information and clear instructions daily, both written and verbal, and the family has not followed those instructions.'
Department of Health and Human Services testing boss Jeroen Weimar on Monday confirmed that there have been no new cases linked to the outbreak, which stands at 39.
'This is one of the best outcomes we could hope to see,' he said.
'The only reason we're able to see it is because such a large number of people across the northern suburbs have taken the time since this outbreak was first identified to get tested.'
The premier acknowledged the community would be frustrated by the delay of 24 to 48 hours, but still hopes to unveil rule changes for Melbourne by Tuesday.
The city's two-week rolling case average has fallen to 3.6, below the threshold of five that authorities had previously coveted to trigger the next step.
Rather than a 'setback', Mr Andrews dubbed the delay a 'cautious pause' to rule out there wasn't wider community transmission linked to the northern metropolitan outbreak.
'I know it is frustrating,' he told reporters.
'I know people are keen to have a long and detailed list of changes to the rules. It is not appropriate for us to do that now.'
The premier hopes to unveil rule changes by Tuesday and insists Melbourne is 'still well and truly on track' to reopen in keeping with its initial November 1 timetable.
Former Victorian health minister Jenny Mikakos said Sunday's delay was 'unnecessary' after hitting the five-case benchmark, and was evidence of 'paralysis in decision-making'.
Mr Andrews would not be drawn on her comments, while chief health officer Brett Sutton noted she and other detractors were not 'in the tent'.
Less surprisingly, Prime Minister Scott Morrison, Treasurer Josh Frydenberg and federal Health Minister Greg Hunt were among public critics of the pause.
The trio said the decision to keep businesses closed suggested the Victorian government did not have 'sufficient confidence' in its contact tracing system to manage future outbreaks.
Mr Andrews insists the state is still on track to reopen before November 1.
But his federal Labor colleague Bill Shorten said he could understand why many Melburnians were disappointed.
Business groups have been scathing of the premier's 'inexplicable' delay, describing it as a hammer blow.
'Many businesses probably would have hoped with some indications that we were going to get more restrictions lifted yesterday,' Mr Shorten told ABC radio.
'I am quietly confident that a further loosening of these restrictions could be announced in the next couple of days, or even by the end of the day.'
Mr Shorten criticised the federal government for bagging the state government rather than recognising the good work of Victorians in suppressing the spread of coronavirus.
There was some good news for regional Victoria on Sunday, however, with restrictions to be wound back for some businesses and activities from 11.59pm on Tuesday.
Gyms and fitness studios will be able to open with up to 20 people - 10 per class, group or space - with density limits.
In addition, food courts can reopen and live music is allowed in outdoor hospitality settings.