Ask a question

A 1.5 Volt Battery Is Short-circuited By A 2

When a 12 volt car battery is short circuited with a wire, the current drawn from the battery is 100 amperes.?

unknown. You need the voltage across the wire, which is NOT 12 volts, but a lot less.

But if you assume an ideal battery, then the answer is 12/100 = 0.12 ohms

Don't try this at home, the current is actually in the thousands of amps and the heat is enough to melt any metal object, and splatter molten metal all over.

.

What can't I short circuit a battery?

The point is that the wire heats up -- dangerously so.

Ohm's law is fundamental here. V = I * R, that is, voltage equals current times resistance. To put it another way, I = V / R. The voltage is fixed by the chemistry of the battery (1.5 V for an AA or AAA battery, 9 V for one of those rectangular ones, etc.). The resistance is a characteristic of the wire, and if you're just using a plain old wire, it will have a very very small resistance.

If you used 10 cm of AWG 14 wire, that would have a resistance of about 0.00083 Ω (ohms). If you short a 9 V battery with this, you'd get a current of about 10840 A. (Did you hear that? That was all of the electrical engineers fleeing the room in terror. That's a massive, massive amount of current.)

Even better, it turns out that the power being converted to heat is given by V^2 / R. So, in this case, the wire would be experiencing a gut-wrenching heating of 97590 W. If I pull out of my hat that the wire has a mass of 10 g and it's pure copper, it will heat up by a mind-boggling 25340 degrees Celsius.

Admittedly the real world will kick in long before that, at least in part because you'll have drained the battery, but it will still, at best, burn a hole in your pants.

Car Battery!!! (Short Circuit)?

First of all, I want to tell you, this is one of the best questions I've seen in a long time. Thank you. Now for the radio. If it's a D.I.N. radio it uses an outer shell that the radio slides into. Kind of like a metal sleeve. Without the propper tool, it's nearly impossible to remove without damaging something. On the other hand, if you had the right tool, it would slide out with amazing ease. You have two options; 1) Take your car to any local dealer, or stereo repair shop and they should do it for free. (If they're nice anyway.) 2) Go to your local auto parts store and ask them for the propper removal tool for your application. I think they cost about six bucks. Good luck.

Short circuit a battery?

The pliers were large enough to carry the current that was being put out by the battery. If you shorted out the batter with a smaller object that wouldn't carry all the current, the object would have gotten hot. What would have happened if you had left the pliers on the battery that way. Possible the battery could explode so you made a wise decision and please, don't tell others to try it because if the battery does explode, you could cause someone a hot of pain. The size of the explosion depends on the amount of moisture in the battery and how well the casing is sealed.

I assume you are asking what will happen if you connect a 3 ohm resister across two battery terminals. note that this isn’t shorting, as a short implies a very low or zero resistance.So connect the 3 ohm resistor and you get a current to flow. The amount of current depends on the battery. Batteries are characterized by an open circuit voltage, an internal resistance, and some other details about what amount of current or temperature may damage the battery.So assuming were not to concerned with being kind to the battery, but might want to come back to this topic later.The internal resistance acts a lot like an external series resistance. the more current that is drawn, the more there is a voltage drop internally. Let’s use some possible numbers, say a 12 volt battery (open circuit) with a 9.1 ohm internal resistance, and lets conect your 3 ohm resistor across the terminals.The total resistance that the battery sees is the series combination of the internal and external resistanceor 3.0 ohms + 0.1 ohms = 3.1 ohmsthe current is i = E/R or 12 volt / 3.1 ohms = 3.87 ampsIF you shorted the battery, the current would be 12 volt / 0.1 ohms or 120 amps which is a lot for most batteries small enough for you to carry.the next thing that would happen is that the 3 ohm resistor would get warm, or maybe hot. The wattage that would be dissipated in the resistor in this case would bePower = I SQUARED * r which is 3.87 X 3.87 X 3 = about 45 watts. So it would warm up as fast as if it was heated by a 45 watt light bulb. Usually resistors are rated for a maximum wattage and a 50 watt resistor is fairly large.So depending on the wattage ratting of the resistor it will either get warm, get hot or burn out.a lot depends on the size of the battery - is it hearing aid size or power a Tesla size?

Attempting to short-circuit circuit a car battery is a really bad idea. If you see the cold cranking amps(CCA) its in the range anywhere between 200–700Amps.A short can be above 1000Amps sometimes depending on the battery. I have tried short-circuiting a 6V 4.5Ah SLA with a 16 gauge wire and it the wire was glowing white hot and it melted of immediately(in fact the manufacturer datasheet said the battery short-circuit current was 180Amps). So, you can imagine what short circuiting a car battery might be like. I have seen my neighbor accidentally short the jumper wire leads and it was like those bright welding arc. There are some videos on YouTube that show people welding with car batteries(not recommended and very dangerous). So, generally saying a car battery can provide hundreds of amperes of current and car batteries have hydrogen gas accumulated in them during the charging process. A single spark while short-circuiting can cause the hydrogen to explode or the acid in the battery could get boiling hot and vent or explode from the heat. Then again it depends on what gauge of wire used for short-circuiting and the duration. If its a really thick wire like the starter cable then its gonna be nasty!!

Just a minute ago I accidentally short circuited my lead acid battery. The wiring touched, glowed bright, the plastic around it melted and smoke got released, but I’m not sure from the battery or from the plastic. It smelled like plastic burning, so I’m hoping the latter.References: How to Recondition a Car Battery at Home - MolditeHowever, this short circuit lasted only a fraction of a second, the wires only touched and they almost immediately lost contact. The battery seems to still be working, but I’m not sure if it’s safe to charge.Is it safe to assume I can still use it properly? It’s the first time I short circuited something like this and it scared me a bit ha.If you used such a thin wire that you can connect to a breadboard then I think that incident isn’t that “short” circuit, from the battery’s point of view. The wire resistance is enough to limit the current, perhaps 10..20A or so flown for a fraction of second, it is pretty normal for these SLA batteries.Next time it is a good idea to add a fuse as close as possible to the battery terminal, and use a fuse that not just blows when the wires already red hot, use one which is rated for the application.It is also a good safety practice to always disconnect any power if you leave the area. Always. The sole exception is long-term testing, but that should be done after thorough pre-testing and already thought out and operational safety systems. The bigger the power you working with the importace (and complexity, cost…) of the safety systems gets more and more significant.Typical 12 volt lead-acid car batteries can be discharged to about 9 volts and be recharged, so you’re in the clear. Discharging a lead-acid car battery below 9 volts reduces the battery’s capacity but it doesn’t cause explosion or anything dangerous like that. Cars pulls hundreds of amps and their batteries aren’t exploding.I’m guessing your wires didn’t make very good contact otherwise they would have welded together. This can be dangerous and you should be careful of this. If the wire is thick enough, it will weld and stick. If it is thinner, it will weld and then melt away, like a fuse.site design / logo 2017 Stack Exchange Inc; user contributions licensed under cc by-sa 3.0 with attribution required. rev 2017.11.10.27691

Can I charge a 12 volt battery with a 1.5 volt battery charger?

No, you cannot charge 12 volt battery with 1.5 volt battery charger, I have done some work I took cell phone and apply the charge using DC power supply unit (Startron ). Lithium ion batteries are used for cell phone, which is 3.5 volts battery, I was supply the volt 1.5 using starton DC power supply unit, the cell phone does not charge then I was supply 2.5 volt again the cell phone does not charge, then I was supplied 3.2 volts now the cellphone battery was charging, so when you apply the almost equivalent voltage then only you can charge the battery, otherwise its wouldn't charge.

It will get hot. Its electrolyte may boil and vent corrosive liquid through the pressure relief vent. It may even split open. But it will not catch fire, because the electrodes are not made of flammable material. Lithium batteries, on the other hand, contain lithium, a metal so reactive that it will ignite spontaneously in air if the casing is breached.NiMH may be safer, but volume for volume, it has less than half the power capacity of Li-ion. You would not be able to run a cell phone a full day on a NiMH battery the same size as the Li-ion it uses now. NiMH also has a drastically shorter life, a smaller number of recharge cycles before it loses capacity. So, we ain’t going back.