Ask a question

Am I Obligated To Pay Child Support

Am I still obligated to pay child support.....?

Yes you do, and unfortunately, only Cuba honors the custodial and access rights of fathers, not even the US, as noted in a ruling last week regarding a New Zealand father. However, that is until a judge rules otherwise. You need to petition the court to have the order frozen until which time the child returns to the US. That does not mean you stop paying, it just means you put it into a trust fund. You also file for denial of access, which if she is held in contempt is considered a change of circumstances, and grounds for a change of custody.

You might want to get into contact with the father who fought, and finally won, against Brazil under these same circumstances. Also, if you contact your Senator or Congressman, ask them why does the US also violate international law.
For 22 years, I have volunteered my time working with divorced/single fathers dealing in family law issues, such as child support, teaching them about what the states are not telling support obligors.
Posted to Dads House Facebook Page

Is the sperm donor obligated to pay child support if the donation was made through an intercourse, with no signed contract?

The answer would depend on where you live and whether this would be covered under common law or statute law (laws made by legislation).This question was settled, a least here in Australia under common law. A child was born to a same sex female couple whereby the child was conceived under an agreement with the women and a gay friend, who was to act as a ‘sperm donor’, with no rights or obligations to the child. Instead of going through the process of producing a sample and then using ‘Turkey baster’ approach of artificial insemination, they had intercourse.As would happen, the original lesbian couple separated and under the then law (now changed) the non-biological parent was not obligated to pay child support as they had no legal guardianship or parental rights/responsibilities. As this is a story about child support, the mother decided to ask the gay friend to now pay child support to a child he thought he had no responsibility for. So the lawyers and courts got involved to settle the matter.The judgement was - because the man had intercourse with the mother for the express purpose to conceive a child he had the rights and responsibilities as the child’s father. So he had to pay up his share of child support. The judge stated that had he have supplied a semen sample and then the mother used it to inseminate herself artificially then he would not be liable to pay child support. The argument being that he had supplied her with donated genetic material, but it was her sole decision to use it in order to the TLDR: version - you stick it in, it’s yours. You leave it lying around and someone uses it, it’s not your problem.

What if I give up my rights? Am I still obligated to pay child support?

This all depends…..Can you walk into court, Declare you are giving up your parental rights and then not have to pay child support anymore? NOPE… that is not going to happen. You are still responsible for paying support of your child even if you don’t want anything to do with them.Can you get out of paying child support by giving up your rights? Yes you can, but it requires proper negotiation with the other parent / their lawyer and is not going to be a guaranteed permanent thing.I have known people who had what I will call a “bad parent” that had little interest in the child and less in paying child support. However because they were paying child support they “took their time” with the child and made life bad for everyone involved. In several of these situations the other parent was able to negotiate the “bad parent” giving up their rights fully in exchange for an agreement of zero child support. Basically if all parties agree and sign up to it then it will happen.Now the complexity to that…. Most states allow child support to be reviewed annually (not that it will be reviewed but it can be if one of the parents files with the court for the review to take place). So even if you come to this type of agreement today, the other parent could come back in the future and request that you start paying child support. In most cases the situations that lead to these types of agreements would not lend themselves to this being likely, but it is still always a possibility until the child turns 18

In Canada, do I need to pay for child support if I get the girl to sign an agreement that she won't ask me for child support?

Wow. I know there's a policy on quora to always be polite but you're pushing it for me... From your question we can derive the following:You got a girl pregnant. She's having the baby. You don't want to stay with her You don't want to financially assist her with raising your childYou want legal protection (assured by her) that you can't be forced to provide child support. I am not a lawyer but I have close experience with this aspect of law. If you are a parent of a child you are legally responsible for ensuring the proper care of that child until they become an adult. If the child is infirm that commitment may extend into adulthood. To answer your question, I am not aware of any agreement in Canada that can be put in place to prevent this legal requirement. Child support is taken very seriously (as it should be) and even survives bankruptcy. Personally, I find it morally reprehensible (to put it lightly) that this is what you're considering. If you don't want to stay with the mother then no one will force you to do so - that's a choice for the two of you. However, if you bring a child into this world (whether accidental or intentional) you are a key part of their life. Children need their parents. If you (for whatever reason) can't or don't want to be there physically then you should not have to be forced to provide support to the mother as they enter the scary world of being a single parent. Kids are expensive, and time consuming. But in the end they are so amazing to have in your life that I feel incredibly lucky each and every day to be a parent. Think hard about what you are trying to do here. I really, really hope that you've left out some details in your question and that you do want to be there for your child. If you don't, then in my view you deserve to have child support enforced by law.

What happens if I lose my job and I am unable to pay child support?

If you are the non-custodial parent, you will need to petition the courts for a modification and hope they grant it. You will still need to look for a job because even if they grant the modification, it will only reduce the obligation, not eliminate it.The interesting thing about child support is that both parents’ income is considered in it's calculation. Even though the non-custodial parent is the one that actually has a “payment”, it is assumed that the custodial parent is contributing as well.However, if you are the custodial parent, even though your financial situation is taken into consideration during the calculation, you have zero legal obligation to pay one penny out of pocket. In fact, if the support was calculated while you were earning income, and now you are not, you may be able to petition the courts and get an increase in the amount of child support paid to you.What all of this means is, even though your financial situation has changed dramatically, if the custodial parent's income has decreased as well, you may petition for a reduction but end up with a higher payment than you had before.Regardless of the outcome of the above steps, if you fail to pay, they can suspend your license, ruin your credit, and possibly jail you depending on the situation.

Do I have to pay child support when my child go to college? I live in NH.?

I live in New Hampshire and I provide information and resources to people for my job.

You need to contact NH Legal Advice and Referral Center and they will be able to answer your questions regarding Child Support Laws. It may take a few times to get through, but they also have a website:

I love my son and pay child support but I am never allowed to see him. Is this ethical?

I love my son; pay child support; but not allowed to see him?Unless there is more to the story, go to the family court and ask for visitation. You can represent yourself[1][2] called pro se. It is not legal much less ethical to be denied visitation. Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice.A denial of visitation rights by the custodial parent to a non-custodial parent, absent a change in an existing court order for visitation rights, is illegal. This is true both in situations in which the parents have agreed on a parenting plan outside of court, and in situations in which scheduled visitation has been ordered by the court. The legal phrase for this scenario is called frustration of child visitation rights, and in many states this can be cause to change the court-ordered child custody arrangement and hold the custodial parent in contempt of court. Non-Custodial Parent Denied VisitationHow Much Will a Child Custody Lawyer CostIf she can prove you are a danger to the child ask for supervised visitation at a neutral place. McDonald's is a favorite.SOURCE: PinterestAnswers to Top Questions About Child Custody Law in All 50 StatesChild Custody and Visitation Information by State - FindLawParental Rights by State - Parental RightsWhen Representing Yourself in a Child Custody Case Would Not Be WiseFootnotes[1] Use These Pro Se Custody Tips When Representing Yourself in Court[2] How to Successully File for Child Custody Without a Lawyer

How can homeless people pay child support?

It's doable, depends on whether or not they are working. What's your angle here? Try to be more specific on what information you want.