Ask a question

Can My Husband Join Me As A Partner Of A Eea National

I'm a Greek citizen married to an albanian. My spouse has an long term residence permit in Greece. We want to go to UK. Can he travel without a visa?

According to“If you are a non-EEA national who holds a valid genuine residence card, issued to you as the family member of an EEA national who is exercising free movement rights in another EEA State (i.e. not your EEA relative’s Member State of nationality) under Article 10 of Directive 2004/38/EC (the ‘Free Movement Directive’), you may use this document for travel to the UK if you are accompanying your EEA national relative here, or joining your EEA national relative in the UK.”Basically, as long as you travel together or he comes to join you in the UK, he will be allowed to enter the UK without a visa, just the residence card and the following:his valid passportevidence that he is married to youIn the case were you’re not traveling together, it gets more complicated, as he will additionally have to prove you are in the UK exercising your treaty rights.

What should someone do after arriving the UK with an EEA family permit?

Live your life.The UK government website’s guide Apply for an EEA family permit from outside the UK has information on how long you can stay, staying after the permit expires, applying for a Residence Card if you want one, etc.

Can i join the Iceland Coast Guard?

The Icelandic Coast Guard is not hiring at the moment and it's unlikely that they will hire anyone soon. They are running on a really tight budget and have had to reduce their staff due to their budget being cut as a result of the current economic crisis. If they will need more staff I'm pretty sure they'll start by taking back some of their previous staff members, and there would be a lot of competition about any job they'd have available.

I'm not sure if they can even hire foreigners. Many countries have rules about only citizens or natives being allowed to do jobs like police, coast guard and such. Looking over the names of their staff, pretty much everyone seems to be Icelandic. They would also need someone with extensive experience in the field. Do you have that?

I'm afraid your chances seem slim, but there is no harm in trying. You can send them an application. Just don't count on having much luck with it, so make sure to apply for other jobs too. It's really hard to find a job in Iceland at the moment, except for some very low-wage jobs, and you're likely to have a disadvantage against other applicants, being a foreigner (especially if you are from outside the European Economic Area (EEA)) and presumably not speaking the language.

Iceland doesn't have a military. It only has a coast guard and couple of peace keepers abroad.

Here is a link to the website of the Icelandic Coast Guard:

Can an EU family member card holder travel to the UK alone without their spouse?

No, they cannot.Spouse or no spouse, this has no bearing on your traveling restriction. As Ernest correctly pointed out, you will need a Passport to enter the UK (or an EU Identity Card... which you won't have, since you have an EU family member card).However, if your question is, "Does an EU Family Member Card allow me to enter the UK without needing a Visa?" then the answer is "YES".Despite that, though, you will still need a Passport or ID Card as a valid travel document, to enter the UK; you just won't be subject to Visa requirements.-Josh

What are the rights of non European family members of EU citizens?

I have checked this few months ago for a similar question and what came out is that EU citizens without income can't fetch their non-EU spouses, whereas those with own income can. As a student without income, you would fall in this category and your spouse would not be able to join you.Ah wait, there is a special provision for the students:From “Non-EU wife, husband and children”Your non-EU spouse and childrenIf you are an EU citizen moving to another EU country to live, work or study, EU rules make it easier for your family to join you. On this page you can find out how your spouse, children and grandchildren can join you, even if they are not EU nationals.However, if you are an EU citizen and have never lived in another EU country only national rules will apply.……If you are a studentIf you are a student living in another EU country, your spouse, dependent children and grandchildren can stay there with you if you:are enrolled in an approved educational establishmenthave sufficient income to support your whole family without needing income supporthave comprehensive health insurance for your whole family in that countryAs you can see, the “sufficient income” is a prominent feature here. If the EU student has enough money to support the family, all is nice and dandy. Bringing in foreigners so that they can be put on social welfare is a no go.Please also note that this are the rules for an EU student living in another EU state. National rules may be different(*).As for the rights of such family mambers, EU is clear here:Equal treatmentDuring their stay in your new country, your non-EU spouse, children and grandchildren should be treated as nationals, notably regarding access to employment, pay and benefits facilitating access to work and enrolment in schools.Again, national rules could be different so please do consult the national authorities. Links to their contact addresses are also on that page.(*) I am not a lawyer, but there is something important to understand about the way EU and the legal system works.First, the idea behind “national rules” is to allow individual states to establish a better treatment for own citizens and keep the EU rules as a fallback. Second, some states might nevertheless install local rules that are below the agreed EU rules. You might be able to sue a member state if their national rules are below this standard, but the rules would probably still apply until the final judgement.

Australian married to british citizen both retired can we live permanently in the uk?

You can, but there's a (somewhat long, somewhat stressful, somewhat expensive) process.The Australian partner would need to apply for the 'Family of a Settled Person' (spouse) visa (Apply to join family living permanently in the UK). Unless you're already living together in the UK, in which case you need to extend your leave to remain (Apply to remain in the UK with family). Either way, you can ultimately apply for indefinite leave to remain and finally citizenship, when you become eligible.To qualify for the spouse visa, the British partner will need an income of £18,600 per year or either of you (or both jointly) need have held more than £16,000 in cash savings for at least six months. If you still have dependent children, the requirements will increase. The purpose of this is to ensure that the non-British partner and any dependants are not eligible to apply for any public funds (because of politics), but if you're planning retirement in the UK then I presume the financial requirement won't be a problem.You will also need to prove that your relationship is 'genuine and subsisting'. A history of jointly-owned property, joint bank accounts or other jointly-held assets as well as your marriage certificate and some photos of the two of you together. If you've spent any significant time apart in the year or so before your application then you will need to provide evidence that you stayed in contact (e.g. chat logs, emails, screenshots of conversations or Skype calls etc.).As an Australian citizen you won't need to take an English language test, but you will need to take a 'Life in the UK' test if you apply for citizenship.You also won't need to take the tuberculosis test. You will need to pay a 'health surcharge' on top of the application fees, which will grant you full access to NHS services.I would recommend hiring a lawyer to advise you and to facilitate the process. I engaged a barrister who had been recommended to me for my wife's visa application; she charged £600 including VAT which was more than worth it.Loopholes like the 'Surinder Singh' path are gradually being shut down (Draft EU rules could tighten migration loophole for foreign-born spouses), so I would recommend going through the official visa route.

Are EU family members allowed to work in the UK?

Yes. Broadly speaking, EU freedom of movement rights apply to EU citizens and their family.If your spouse lives and works* in the UK, or in any other EU/EEA country†, then you also have a right to live and to work there. You do not need a work permit as in this case your right to work is guaranteed by law, but it is advisable to apply for a UK residence card nonetheless. You may also need an EEA family permit to enter the UK.* strictly speaking treaty rights only apply if they work or can otherwise support both of you.† different, perhaps stricter, rules may apply in your spouse's home countrySee: Citizens' Rights Directive EUR-Lex - 32004L0038 - EN - EUR-Lex (particularly Art. 23)UK residence cardDirect family members of EEA nationals