Ask a question

Expunge Petite Theft Record In Florida

Is it possible to get a felony removed from your record in Florida?

Check your background records at Take a look at what employers, people you know, and just about anybody may lookup regarding you. Research reports consist of general public, courtroom, police arrest, felony, essential, and various other documents.Is it possible to get a felony removed from your record in Florida?A criminal record can create difficult downstream consequences whether you (or your child) was arrested or convicted (or both). For example, employers and landlords commonly ask job applicants and apartment seekers whether they have ever been convicted of (or perhaps even arrested for) a criminal offense. Employers might not hire -- and landlords might not rent to -- people who answer "yes" to these questions. The good news is that, in some cases, you may be able to get an arrest or conviction expunged from your record. Read on to learn more about the expungement process.What Is Expungement?Expngement refers to the process of sealing arrest and conviction records. Virtually every state has enacted laws that allow people to expunge arrests and convictions from their records. Though the details can vary from one state to the next, most states' laws provide that once an arrest or conviction has been expunged, it need not be disclosed, including to potential employers or landlords. For example, assume that Joe was convicted of petty theft and later had the conviction expunged. This was Joe's only brush with the criminal justice system. If Joe applies for a job and the application asks, "Have you ever been convicted of a criminal offense?" Joe can honestly answer, "No."

Punishment for Petty Theft?

As a first time offender for petit theft, you will have a misdemeanor conviction, restitution to the store, a fine, community service, probation and a lifetime restriction against going into Wal Mart.

You can ask your lawyer at the time of trial if your jurisdiction allows expungement of misdemeanor crimes. ( Some states allow this and some do not.)

If it is allowed, finish your probation, pay all fines and restitution and keep your nose clean. Your lawyer will also tell you how much time must elapse after probation is completed before you can file for expungement. It is a fairly simple form that you can get from the Clerk of Court's office. Fill it out, return it to the Clerk's office with the filing fee and wait. A court appearance is usually not needed for this type of motion and you will be advised by mail of the decision.

Just one note to add. Expungement ( when offered) is a first time offender motion ONLY. If you commit any other offenses during your lifetime, expungement is NOT an option you will have available.

Best of luck and I hope this is useful to you

What's the difference between expunge and sealing your record?

Hello Tierra,
This is what I have found for you.
Sealing an arrest record involves completely removing a criminal arrest from the public. The record of the arrest, for all intents and purposes, is technically "destroyed," and it is only available to law enforcement. With an expungement, the record will reflect a dismissed case with a finding of "not guilty," but still show the original arrest and charge. Sealed records can be opened if an individual has applied for a professional license, such as a medical or law license. The law and terminology for sealing or expunging a record varies from state to state.
I hope it helps!

How long does a misdemeanor stay on your criminal record in?

How long does a misdemeanor stay on your criminal record in florida?
me being very stupid. took some diaper for my baby when my mon threw me out. so now i have a misdemeanor for petty theft on my criminal record, i wanted to know how long does it stay on my record in florida? because I'm in need of a job and don't know what job to apply for with this type of charge can someone please help me out and to explain to me my next step

Can I get a pharmacy tech license with a petty theft charge from 7 years ago?

In most states that is considered a misdemeanor. If possible, getting it expunged would still be a good idea.

Petty theft - This is my first offense and i am 18?

Ok guys i was caught stealing some items from khols in florida.i am 18 and this is my first ever offence. i believe the total came up to about 70 dollars,and i was told by the police and the loss prevention guy that it is a petty theft.

the loss prevention guy told me he saw me do the crime ,and i was therfore truthful of what i hade done and wrote down an account of what happened. Also there was nothing damaged as he said i may be charge for damaged goods.

the police when they came to the store told me i will have to go to court and that will be in about a months time. i do not have a lawyer also i cannot afford one.

What will happen at the court hearing?
What do you think i will be charged for?

Any info you guys can give me i would be so greatful because i just want to get this issue off my mind.

Petty theft misdemeanor first time offense.?

Each state has it's own laws about what kind of offenses and dispositions can be later expunged from your record. The Florida Department of Law Enforcement is the government agency that processes expungment requests, The website cites the Florida Statute that determines who is eligible to have a charge expunged. It is not easy reading and it is best to have an experienced lawyer explain the criteria.

In some states, the only time a charge can be expunged is when the defendant was not actually convicted. If you are placed on probation, conditional discharge (a nonreporting form of probation) than a conviction is entered and you are ineligible for expungment. But it is a different story if you are placed on court supervision. If you complete court supervision successfully, a conviction is not entered and you can file a petition for expungment. I am not familiar with Florida's system but it may be similar. It is very important that you understand before you accept a plea agreement whether you will be eligible for expungment at a later date. Talk to an attorney and good luck!