Ask a question

Friend Owes Me Money And Is Reluctant To Pay It Back

If a friend owes me money, how do I get it back?

If you have no contract, there is not much you can do legally. You may try small claims court, but it may digress to you said / he said.Even though an oral contract is binding in some states, the fact is that it is only binding if the judge believes you.In any case, save ALL emails and ALL text messages—especially the ones that say, “Ah, dude, I’m realy hard up, but I’ll give you something next week.”if nothing else, learn the life lesson that friends are not good credit risks. Banks usually recognize this fact, and that is why he hit you up for money.If you are talking about $100 right it off as a gift, because it is not worth the hassle. That might seem like a lot, but you have to go through so much leg work before it even gets in front of a judge, that it won’t be worth the trouble.Now, if you are talking about a whole lot of money—more money than a small claims court handles—you might consider seeing an attorney, but even that can get sketchy if you don’t have any proof to back yourself up.A former friend of mine borrowed $15k from another friend of mine in order to make a downpayment on a house, so that the bank would give him a loan. When it came time that the guy was to start paying back the friendly loan, this former friend tells him, “Oh, no! I thought it was a gift. I never would have accepted it, if it was a loan.” He lost a lot of friends, but the friend that loaned him the money never saw so much a a penny paid back.

My friend owes me money and hasn't paid it back. How can I take her to court?

No proof of debt is not good. Do you have any emails that you exchanged with her about this? If not, send her one and say, in friendship, of course, “Hey, I know we talked about this, but I can really use the $ —- I gave you. How about it? Can you at least make a payment? “.. and then put something in there about rent/car payment you have to make. Tell her it would be really helpful if she could do that. And then add that you regret how this has affected your relationship and that this relationship is more important then the cash.The point of all of this is NOT to get her to pay, which you know she will probably not do. The point is to get her to RESPOND to your email in some way, where she acknowledges the transaction. Once you get the reply, call the local court and tell the clerk you want to file a complaint against an individual who owes you money and they will tell you what your next step is, and then you take it from there.Nasty business, but if you want your money and want to take a stand then this is what you do. On the other hand, if you want to let it go, and just consider it the price you paid for trusting someone, only to find out what a dick they can be, then walk away from it and cut off ties. Filing a lawsuit takes time and energy and money- something that, depending on the amount involved, may not be worth the aggravation.

How do you POLITELY remind a friend that they owe you money?

You just need to come right out and ask when you will get your first payment on the loan. Take whatever they can offer.

That is why older people are wiser. We make those mistakes when we are young, then we learn. I don't loan money any more. If I can afford it, I just give them the money and ask for nothing in return.

What legal action I can take if my friend is refusing to pay the money back he has lent?

Is there any promissory note to manifest that the loan was advanced by you? You may file a case on the basis of these evidences and then endevaour to prove his liability.However, prior to that serve a notice to him mentioning the entire history, and give a copy of the same to the police and seek acknowledgment; thereafter which you may file complaint.

How shall I remind my friend about the money she owes me? She is a close friend, so I can't ask directly. What shall I do?

IMO, friendships should not be broken unnecessarily for money. So ask assertively. You don’t need to explain why u need the money back or make excuses, just ask for it and receive the response. Assertiveness can get you out of many situations. Here is a link to some tips on how to ask or talk assertively.How to Be AssertiveShe may have simply forgotten and needs a clear, straightforwards reminder. If she has any more complex issues which affecting her ability to do so then, if you determine that she genuinely needs that help to pay you back. you could help her to find a way to pay you back (E.g. something like giving her ideas, help with applications)However if you know or determine that she has the amount of money in her possession at any point in time between the time you borrowed her the money or that she seems reluctant and uninterested, then you are cool to ask the parents politely or just write it off.In any case, be assertive in the questions you ask and statements you make.

Asking my friend for money?

I know I’ve made a mistake, and I was hoping to get feedback on whether this mistake is a dealbreaker or something I can fix.

I owe thousands in taxes. $12k actually.

I have an ex/close friend who makes about $100,000 a year. I’ve helped her through the death of several loved ones and Helping her get out of an abusive relationship. We help each other out - she helped me with several small financial emergencies last year (she gave me about $5000 in total).

I called her last week to see if she would give me the money to pay my taxes. She was reluctant, so I offered to pay her back, possibly even with interest. She said she needed time to think about it, and I got slightly angry (I was drunk when I called). I told her “I see how it is.” She didn’t reply, so then I hung up on her. I had told her how freaked out this thing had me, and that I felt like I’m being forced to choose between suicide or prison. I just couldn’t understand why she didn’t want to help me, especially since she has so much money.

I recognize that I made mistakes here, so I’ve been trying to get ahold of her to see where we stand. She’s not returning my calls or texts, which she has never done before. She has always wanted to help me when I’m in trouble, just like I’ve helped her. I don’t get it. I know I’m in the wrong, but I can’t believe she’d just toss a long friendship away because of a drunken phone call.

Is her reaction commensurate with my mistake? Is this salvageable?

What to do about friend that mooches money off me?

She is taking full advantage of you. She is not your friend. You need to dump her as a friend, no questions asked. You work to hard for your money to just give it away to a freeloading idiot. You probably will not get any of your money back. She will just continue to lie to you and tell you she has it, just so you will meet her., and then you have just ended up spending more money on her. She won't change, once a freeloader, always a freeloader. The only thing to do is end all contact with her.

How can I force someone to pay me the money that they owe me?

There certainly are ways and means of forcing repayment however you will have to use the county courts, and ONLY if that person has realisable assets and/our disposable income.  You might need to do some detective work to establish this. Assuming he has you should start with either a county court claim.  Assuming you win which you should you can then enforce the judgment by several means should he fail to comply with the order of the court by making either full payment (default judgment) or failing to comply with an instalment order. These are,  1. Apply  for a Charging order on equity he has in any property, when the property is sold you get paid from the equity automatically. He cannot prevent this.  2. Attachment of earnings order,  (assuming he has disposable income) 3. Apply for a 3rd party debt order  which if he has any savings or investments held in a bank or building society will order the bank to freeze his account and pay you. 4. Apply for the court bailiff to enforce the debt by seizing any vehicles he has  (which are not exempt) I.e. he needs the vehicle for work and no suitable alternative is available, or tools of his trade,  basic living amenities are all exempt. SThe most effective enforcement by far if he has assets is to serve a statutory  demand under the insolvency act.  If it's served correctly and he does not apply to set aside the demand within 21 days by securing the debt with you,  then you can apply for his bankruptcy using a creditors bankruptcy petition. This will cost you well over £1000 but if he has the money and assets it will prompt repayment trust me and this will not involve going to court.  Anyone can serve a stat demand it doesn't involve a court. It will frighten the life out of anyone with assets and debts.but it MUST be served on the debtor correctly, and preferably witnessed.  I would recommend doing this. If he has nothing then unless his circumstances change fir the better within the next 6 years then I suspect you won't see a penny. You can't get blood out of a stone. Good luck. I

Someone owes me about $2,000 and refuses to pay. How can I take legal action to get it back?

Take them to small claims court. In court you the plaintiff have the burden of proof, which means you have to prove that you loaned money to the defendant, and that he/she hasn’t paid it back. If you were smart you’ll have a signed loan agreement stating how much you loaned to the defendant, when you loaned it, how long the defendant had to pay it back, and then signed by the defendant.If you don’t have a loan agreement signed by the defendant, text messages, emails, voicemails, from him/her acknowledging the loan may also work, or any repayment of the loan that you can prove was made towards the loan.If you have no proof that this was a loan, it was a gift and you will lose in court.