Ask a question

I Went To Jail Last Year And Someone Field Taxes Under My Name And I File Taxes This Year Way

Get someone to prepare my taxes, or use software?

I've seen quite a few commercials from H&R Block, Turbo Tax, etc. that say, "Don't use them, use us!" What are the pros and cons to using a tax firm or using a set of software to prepare my taxes??

If i went to file my tax return and someone filed using my name and ssn, what can i do?

If someone has used your Social Security number to file an income tax return, you need to alert the authorities as soon as possible and advise them that you have been the victim of identity theft.

Start by filling out IRS Form 14039, an Identity Theft Affidavit, which tells the the IRS that someone has already fraudulently used your Social Security number – or that you suspect you may be a potential victim of fraud. This Form 14039 lets you advise the IRS of any incidents that are currently impacting your taxes, as well as any incidents that could impact your taxes in the future.

To prove that you are who you say you are, you’ll have to submit to the IRS documentation such as a passport, driver’s license, social security card, or another federal or state-issued government ID card.

Send these documents via mail or fax:

Mailing address:
Internal Revenue Service
P.O. Box 9039
Andover, MA 01810-0939

FAX: (Not toll-free)

Since the IRS is accustomed to seeing these kinds of scams, the IRS actually has a dedicated division to dealing with cases where someone has stolen another person’s social security number and used it to file an income tax return. The IRS department to call for help is the IRS Identity Protection Specialized Unit, toll free at 800-908-4490.

To deal with this issue of someone stealing your social security number or falsely filing taxes in your name, you should also put a credit freeze and a credit alert on your credit reports.

Lastly, if your purse or wallet was stolen or someone seems to have misappropriated your personal data – such as your social security card/number, or driver’s license, etc. – you need to immediately file a police report with your local police department. Good luck.

Can I file ITR for the last 3 years?

In one financial year, you can file your IT Returns for previous 2 financial years.For example: In F.Y. 2016–17, (Due date 31st July,2017) you can file the return for previous 2 financial years- 2014–15 & 2015–16 only.Generally, old returns i.e. more than 2 previous financial years, are filed if you receive the notice from income tax department. AND , In that case,you can prepare the return and file that in your ward.

I need to look over last years w2s but I don’t have ten days to wait for copies. Is there a quicker way to get access through the IRS?

You can usually request them from your employer for that period. Most often, they are happy to accommodate. If not, I suggest trying to use the various online methods at An official website of the United States government however it sounds as if you have already exhausted such options.Another way to get a ballpark idea is to go over your latest YTD (year to date) paystub numbers on your latest check stub of last year and it should show you most of what you need — unless that is IRS wants it (to the penny) for identity verification purposes.. in which you may need to pull transcripts regardless of what e services is telling you.You also might try and call the given 1–8xx prefix number (which is based on your nearest field office) or 1-800-829-1040 and ask for an appointment and explain that you need transcripts as you lost your w-2 form, but chances are this will take longer than ten days and possibly weeks or months, as you might need to go in person if IRS has locked you out of online requests or IP pin verification and has told you to wait a specified time before you attempt to access those online services again. If you do need to get transcripts in person (this will be the case if you use an IP pin no matter if they promise you can access online forms in ten days, so if that’s your scenario, make an appointment!!) then you may also call other field offices or request a sooner appointment in a different field office location. Good luck!One other option is to lookup your employers EIN if you have it and see if you can find a copy of the W2 there. Tax Form Management

Help with e-filing taxes? Simple question?


Even if there is enough room on the program input line to list the company name, if it is split on the W-2, enter it that way.

So, if Jack Jones Business Emporium Extravaganza Inc is spit between the 2 lines:

Jack Jones Business
Emporium Extravaganza Inc

Then enter it that way.

If I make 36000 a year, how much would I get back from taxes?

@ Judy: I understand what a refund is. My taxes are withdrawn before I get my paycheck--and no one I have ever spoken to has ever owed money when taxes are done this way. More often than not (in fact, almost all the time) it seems that the government takes too much out as a general practice--which is why people habitually receive a refund (if you ask for it before 3 years is up). Of course, that's assuming you haven't had any on-the-side jobs (ex: ebay shop) that you must report.

Exemption field on TaxAct 1040 form?

I just e-filed my tax return with TaxAct and a couple hours later I got an email saying it was rejected due to the fact that my birthday didnt match what was on file?? I double checked everything and all the information is 100% correct. I emailed TaxAct and am currently waiting a reply.

I did notice however that under the "Exemptions" field, box 6a is checked for "yourself" followed by my date of birth. I dont know much about doing taxes, but should this "exemption" field be filled in at all? I just followed the TaxAct questions as they were asked...but this doesnt seem right. Im a 26 year old single male who has nothing to write off or claim.

Help! Thanks