Ask a question

My Employer Does Not Take Any Taxes Out Of My Weekly Paycheck. How Would I Go About Paying My Taxes

My employer does not take taxes out of my paycheck, and said he is not required to give me a 1099.?

Once he pays you over $600 (amount changes each year) he is REQUIRED to give you Form 1099-MISC (or post this form on a website) OR give you a Form W-2 by 1/31. If he is "controlling your work environment" he is not allowed to give a 1099. You have up to 3 years to submit a form to the IRS to challenge him and for them to make a ruling if he is following IRS regs. If you submit this form get a letter of reference first as the IRS must tell him who turned him in. Also you must list his federal ID number (xx-xxxxxxx) on the form for processing(this # shoud appear above his name/number on Form W-2 or 1099-MISC. You can also submit a Form 5939-A to report him annonymously to the IRS. At download Form 1040ES and complete the p. 4 worksheet to see what you owe if you elect NOT to challenge him. The IRS is impartial. They collect from one side or the other - it doesn't matter. Do you really want to pay his taxes for him??? If you need the job suck it up and file Form SS-8 within 3 yrs after you have a better job. Federal jobs now hiring are listed at If you sign on with the IRS for 10 years your student loan is forgiven!

How do i take taxes out of my weekly paycheck?

If the person making payments to you is not withholding any taxes they are treating you as a self-employed individual (an independent contractor.) Self-employed people pay their tax on a quarterly basis using a payment voucher called a 1040-ES. You can access blank forms on line at the IRS website.
The next vouchers are due September 15, 2006 and January 15, 2007. The amounts of the vouchers almost require preparing a proforma tax return for 2006 but there are some safe harbor rules that will help you determine the minimum amounts due with those vouchers. Most accountants or tax preparers can help you with these rules. They take about 15 minutes to explain and don't lend themselves to a quick answer or percentage.
It sounds like you believe you are an employee and your "employer" is treating you like a self-employed person. You will need to resolve this with your "employer."

My employer did not take any federal tax out of my paycheck, can they do that?

Follow me here: If you are still part-time in two jobs, and found out you owed $1,200 for last year, that works out to $50/paycheck being paid 2x a month. There should a line on the W-4 where you can specify You want an extra $50 per paycheck withheld this year (or maybe $60 since we are already in March). {I would do this on the job with the bigger paychecks.}

If you owe less than $1,000 (I think that's the threshold number) the IRS will not penalize you; and if they try, there are ways of legally skirting most of the penalty by meeting some requirements. {although tax preparers might charge you more than what the penalties would cost if you do something sophisticated*, lol.}

For example, you can put just enough in an IRA to get below the threshold with your tax liability. Better in the bank for you than a fine to the IRS. *There are some quarterly income averaging techniques, but you really have to love math, rules, and know how to apply them. (I set up excel spreadsheets to run "what ifs".)

Your taxes are a payment for a privilege to be a member of that country.If you'd rather not pay them, you need to find work/place to live where you have to pay taxes that you're comfortable with.If we are talking about US, there are various payroll taxes present: federal and state. Some states have no income taxes, and if you want, you can look into that (just keep in mind that the social services might not be comparable and job market could be different to what you're used to).The side of the taxes that you see coming out of your paycheck is a part of the equation - your employer contributes more taxes on your behalf, so here lies the benefit of being an employee: you don't have to pay 100% of certain taxes as employers pitch in.You have also come across the truth of working: you can't make a lot of money when you are a salaried person, so if your question amounts to "I could have more money if it weren't for those taxes", the response is that you would still not make enough because you're a paycheck worker. To make more money, you need to become your own boss..As a boss, you would have to have your own company AND you will have employees - and then you will be wondering why are you paying so much in extra taxes and why can't they pay those on your own (so you, the owner, can have more money left over).It's a loop, you're only seeing a part of the picture.

My employer didn't take taxes out of my check can i sue them?

No you can't sue them.

And where were you while this was all going on? Are you really saying you didn't notice that nothing was deducted? Even if you claIm that, it doesn't change the situation.

If they treated you as an independent contractor and you feel you were really an employee you can file form SS-8 with the IRS and ask for their determination.

But no matter what, you still owe the taxes you should have had withheld.

This is an interesting question. I take exception with Mr. Yu's answer, since I don't think an employer has any duty to an employee to prove that they have paid the withholdings.  Asking for that would be a bold and needless move.  It certainly is going to PO your employer.   If your employer fails to make the deposits, they'll get in trouble, you won't, assuming that you are not a "responsible person" for payroll. (such as a corporate officer or the company accountant)  The law provides that you will get credit for your withheld taxes even if your employer never pays them.  In other words, the payment of payroll taxes is between the employer and the government, and none of your business.   That should give you some measure of relief and lessen the stress level.  What you want to be sure of is that your employer continues to treat you as an employee, and doesn't try some not-so-clever trick like trying to pay you as a 1099 worker, or giving you a paycheck without a pay-stub which shows the deductions.  Watch out for those things, they are typical ploys of a desperately cash-poor employer. Other than that, you will be entitled to your deductions, even if the employer never pays them and goes out of business.  Uncle Sam does have a few bene's for employees.

You earn $36,000 a year.There are 52 weeks in one year.You worked one of those weeks (40 hours)$36,000 divided by 52 weeks is $692.31.It appears they have short-paid you $0.31. This might make you seem petty, but if you wanted to, you could complain to the payroll department to point out the mathematical inaccuracy (assuming you haven't misstated the amount you were paid in your question).Am I missing something?What you were missing is that 4 (weeks) x 12 (months) = 48 weeks, not 52 weeks. In other words, there are actually 4.33 weeks in a month on average (52 weeks divided by 12 months), not 4.I hope this helps. :)

First let me be a nuisance child.A 1099-MISC is the official for a business uses to report no employee compensation, rental expense, and other business expense paid to non-employees.It performs roughly the equivalent purpose that a W-2 does for an employee (i.e. it tells the government that your were paid money and probably owe income taxes on that money).Second as a recipient of a 1099-MISC you are responsible for properly reporting that income on you form 1040. Probably on Schedule C.The business paying you is required to file the 1099-MISC if they remit more than $600 in non-employee compensation to you during any Calendar year.You are supposed to file a Schedule C with your 1040 if you receive more than $400 in sole proprietor (meaning you are the only owner of the business) receipts from a business during your tax year (usually calendar).A 1099-MISC is not supposed to be issued to someone who is performing work as an employee.Usually, taxes are not withheld on payments made to contractors. However, the business paying for contracting service may be required by the IRS to take backup withholding from your compensation.In addition, the business should request an I-9 and other information from you to be able properly enter into a contract with you as a non-employee.

Is it legal for your employer to not take out Federal taxes if your weekly paycheck is less than $250?

The man is breaking the law. The only time an employer is not required to withhold federal income tax, regardless of the amount of earnings, is for a household employee. Only if the household employee requests it and submits a W-4 to the employer is the employer required to withhold taxes (and send them in). All other employers must withhold taxes according to the schedule in Publication 15.

It sounds to me like this family business is cash poor. They don't want to withhold taxes because they don't have the free cash to cover them and send in. They want to stick you with it.

I suggest you either live with it, or report them to the IRS (and be prepared to find another job).

A2A, but as others have said, you can change the W4 form that you give your employer which determines how much income tax is withheld. You will pay a penalty for under paying the tax you owe.